Long Nights

“Ahhhhhhhhmmmmm.” My yawn fills the study room as I flop onto the textbook with the title ALGEBRA 1. Right now, anything under my head feels like a pillow. As I drag myself back up, I peel my sweaty hand off my pencil and look at my watch. 11:30. Tomorrow is my last test of the semester, and I have to do well.  A simple little mistake could cause my average to go from a 93 to a 91. My body aches from sitting in a chair for too long. I need a break.

11:45. I’m back at my desk, not too happy. I don’t realize I’m staring off into space until my head slumps into my arms. Just…one…more…page…and…I can finally…lie down…and sleep….Ah, my soft, warm bed. I sink into my chair as I long for the moment when I can finally lie down and sleep. NO. I. NEED. TO. STUDY. I force myself to reach for my pencil and textbook. But of course, I don’t get through much.

12:00. It’s midnight and I’ve gotten through 5 problems. How am I gonna finish this? Then, after long periods of nothing, I tell myself to think about how proud I will be once I study hard and have a 100 sitting in front of me, clean from red marks. I take a long, deep breath and get my blood circulating again. I can finally feel my legs, arms and fingers as I start moving my pencil.

12:30. I’M DONE!!! Suddenly I’m full of energy as I throw my pencil down, slam the book closed and run out of the study room. In less than 5 minutes I have washed up, changed into my pajamas and climbed into my bed. Goodnight….

One thought on “Long Nights